Stuff

I like to talk about stuff. I also like to complain about stuff. So, this is my stuff.

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Starbucks Coffee Mug

I have a travel coffee mug from Starbucks that is the most useless piece of crap I've ever gotten. I just want to warn you about it and complain a little. See, it's really pretty and all that, but it has three major design flaws.

  1. I've looked in other cars and there is no way this mug would fit in any cupholder.
  2. The "lid" has an opening to drink from which cannot be closed.
  3. It's not microwavable.

At least if the lid closed all the way, maybe the coffee would stay warm for long enough that you wouldn't need to re-heat it. Or vice versa; if the mug was microwavable, the present lid would be no problem.

Perhaps the most ridiculous thing about this mug is the reason it's not microwavable. I know 'cause I used to put it in the microwave anyway in disbelief. Well, one day I had just finished a 30 second microwave session with it, I brought it to my lips and woah - I got a nosefull of smoke. Further analysis led me to the cause of the burnt rubber.

Starbucks uses a metal tag/logo/thingie with a ring of rubber around it to seal it into the side of the cup. How can they be so vain? What is the point of the metal logo? You know somebody sat there in the board meeting and said, "Oh, I don't think people will mind that they can't put it in the microwave - look how shiny the logo is!"

Idiots.

2 Comments:

  • At Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! How frustrating!
    I will bring you more coffee mugs when I find them in the rest of your stuff here at the house. :)
    Yup, this is your Mother.
    Did you know a special day is coming on Sunday for me:
    Yeah, I like lots of stuff...lets go to the dollar store...
    Maybe, they have great coffee travel mugs there...

     
  • At Thursday, May 05, 2005 4:24:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You should get a coffee travel mug that is wide at the base and narrow v-neck at the top, and that has a non-skid surface at the base.

    This design originated hundreds of years ago for use on ships. It is very stable, nearly slop-proof, feels "normal" to drink out of, and retains temperature well. Also, I've never found one to be not micro-wavable.

    Of course, they may not appeal to your fashion sensibilities, any more than a plastic logo appealed to that Board member...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home